Why Become Certified?
There are many reasons to obtain an official IIA certification designation. Whether it’s the hallmark designation of internal audit — the Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) designation — or one of our four specialty industry certifications, obtaining a certification is professionalism defined.
IIA certification elevates your standing in the audit community, boosting your career opportunities and earning you increased credibility and respect within the profession and your organization.
Ultimately, becoming certified will:
- Help you earn credibility and respect in your field.
- Open more opportunities for advancement.
- Increase your salary. Certified professionals earn up to 18% more than their non-certified peers.*
- Prove your willingness to invest in your own development.
- Demonstrate your commitment to your profession.
- Improve your internal audit skills and knowledge.
- Enhance the profession’s image by promoting competent, confident internal auditors.
- Represent your personal achievement.
- Build confidence in your knowledge of the profession.
- Invite greater recognition from your peers.
Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
The CIA is the only globally accepted designation for internal auditors and the standard by which individuals demonstrate their professionalism in internal auditing. Moreover, earning the CIA designation is more than just proof of what you know and what you’ve achieved — it’s the best way for auditing professionals to communicate to the world that they are prepared to meet today’s challenges.
Earning the CIA designation is a valuable accomplishment and a professional advantage for auditors at all stages of their careers, including chief audit executives, audit managers, audit staff, and risk management staff, as well as students enrolled in an accounting or other business or financial degree program.
Certification in Risk Management Assurance (CRMA)
As the only risk management assurance certification for internal auditors, The IIA’s Certification in Risk Management Assurance® (CRMA®) program has been updated to reflect the in-depth organizational knowledge and advanced skill sets that are required to provide effective risk management assurance to audit committees and executive management.